Thanks MAD and Shapeways! Check out and order your own version of me in multiple materials here!

674x501_1815692_2430887_1395875136

I was experimenting with ways to let concrete set formed around bubbles. Basically, I blew bubbles in a cup of setting Rockite with a straw. This is the result. It feels awesome but cracks easily when touched.

20140422-133148.jpg

20140422-133156.jpg

20140422-133204.jpg

Had a craving for lamb tagine so I made some in the wood oven at the loft. It came out really well. Also made a fava bran and cucumber salad and a mint yogurt sauce. And citrus rice. And Mariel made some dough to make flat breads.

20140422-133431.jpg

20140422-133441.jpg

20140422-133450.jpg

Kevin-Dish

Today we’re building a simple voltage divider where the output is read using an analog input on an Arduino Nano.  I’m following a similar project that uses a thermistor instead of conductive cord.

cord-resistor-testing3

cord-resistor-testing1

We use the equation Vo = R / (R + 10K) * Vcc to measure the expected voltage output at various resistances.  The conductive, resistive rubber cord has a resistance of 350-400 Ohms per inch (not very exact but fine for our prototyping needs).  My fixed Resistor is a 10k (already in the equation above) and Vcc is 5v from my laptop to the Arduino.

Here is the simplified math:

ADC value = Vi * 1023 / Vcc

ADC value = R / (R + 10K) * Vcc * 1023 / Vcc

ADC value = R / (R + 10K) * 1023

R = 10K / (1023/ADC – 1)

We will test using the following code from the tutorial linked above.

We now want to measure two things:

breath volume

We can measure this by measuring the amount of time it takes to reach a peak (maximum value) from the baseline resistance.

breath rate

We can measure this by measuring the peak-to-peak time.

So far I’ve slightly modified the code so that it will tell me when the cord is measuring breath in and breath out or holding breath.

cord-resistor-testing2

I wanted to play with perspectives and perception in Drowned.  By exploring a common household fixture, the bathtub, I aim to conjure feelings of uncertainty, forcing the user into an uncomfortable world that actually becomes quite comical after absorbing it for a few moments. During the exhibition, I occasionally returned to check on the piece and noticed that viewers were shifting ducks around to reveal the mannequin’s nose and face, as if to give it air.

The piece includes a salvaged cast iron claw foot tub from the 1800’s, over 200 cast concrete ducks, one bronze investment cast duck and mannequin legs, head and a wig.  It was displayed during the Materialists show at the Thomas Welton Gallery at Stanford from March 11 – April 27, 2014.

Taking a class called Kinetic Sculpture this quarter.  This is how I made it.