As part of a class about designing for the plastic injection molding process, I designed, cut molds and shot some napkin rings called the Impaled Napkin Rings series.  Process below.

I first 3D printed some prototypes to see how they worked.  I learned that living hinges do not work with our printer material.  I cut the molds using a HAAS Office Mill OM1.  I had to recut one side as the living hinge at the neck was so small on the first iteration that when the molds separated after shooting they would decapitate the napkin ring (if that makes sense).  I widened the neck and they shot perfectly.

I’ve been inspired by many chairs over the last week or so and spent far too much time in my head and on paper sketching ideas.  Last night I cut and assembled the chair I designed in six hours using 2 2x4x8’s and a 4 foot by 4 foot piece of 1/2″ plywood.  Here is some process documentation and some photos of the final project.  I was pleased with amount of time it took to cut and assemble but not so happy with the bulkiness and lack of personal expression in the piece.  It was a great exercise in making a functional and comfortable chair, which I have never attempted or done before and I’m excited for the next 7 weeks to fully design and explore my next chair.

 
IMG_9216-0.JPG

IMG_9215-0.JPG

IMG_9217-0.JPG

IMG_9218-0.JPG

IMG_9219-0.JPG

IMG_9220-0.JPG

IMG_9223-0.JPG

IMG_9197-0.JPG

IMG_9154-0.JPG

IMG_9162.JPG

david+chair

we called it the “l’oven” project from the start because we loved doing it.  Building this neopolitan style wood burning pizza oven took around 3,000 hours of work and around 7,000 pounds of concrete and bricks. It feels incredibly satisfying to have finished it.  More polished process/final photo post coming soon.

oven-final1 oven-final2 oven-final3 oven-final4 oven-final5

We poured the concrete counter top for the oven last night. It came out beautifully. I did a little stop motion to capture all the excitement.

20140628-185021-67821409.jpg

20140628-185019-67819453.jpg

20140628-185020-67820424.jpg

20140628-185022-67822676.jpg

My team and I completely and tested our robot as part of Stanford’s ME210 Mechatronics course last week.  There’s a lot more information on the bot’s site, www.winklebot.weebly.com.

IMG_4741 winklebot-glams3 winklebot-glams4 winklebot-glams6 winklebot-glams8 winklebot-glams9