I’ve been inspired by many chairs over the last week or so and spent far too much time in my head and on paper sketching ideas. Last night I cut and assembled the chair I designed in six hours using 2 2x4x8’s and a 4 foot by 4 foot piece of 1/2″ plywood. Here is some process documentation and some photos of the final project. I was pleased with amount of time it took to cut and assemble but not so happy with the bulkiness and lack of personal expression in the piece. It was a great exercise in making a functional and comfortable chair, which I have never attempted or done before and I’m excited for the next 7 weeks to fully design and explore my next chair.
I was experimenting with ways to let concrete set formed around bubbles. Basically, I blew bubbles in a cup of setting Rockite with a straw. This is the result. It feels awesome but cracks easily when touched.
Today we’re building a simple voltage divider where the output is read using an analog input on an Arduino Nano. I’m following a similar project that uses a thermistor instead of conductive cord.
We use the equation Vo = R / (R + 10K) * Vcc to measure the expected voltage output at various resistances. The conductive, resistive rubber cord has a resistance of 350-400 Ohms per inch (not very exact but fine for our prototyping needs). My fixed Resistor is a 10k (already in the equation above) and Vcc is 5v from my laptop to the Arduino.
Here is the simplified math:
ADC value = Vi * 1023 / Vcc
ADC value = R / (R + 10K) * Vcc * 1023 / Vcc
ADC value = R / (R + 10K) * 1023
R = 10K / (1023/ADC – 1)
We will test using the following code from the tutorial linked above.
We now want to measure two things:
We can measure this by measuring the amount of time it takes to reach a peak (maximum value) from the baseline resistance.
We can measure this by measuring the peak-to-peak time.
So far I’ve slightly modified the code so that it will tell me when the cord is measuring breath in and breath out or holding breath.
Taking a class called Kinetic Sculpture this quarter. This is how I made it.
Testing out how our music controller will fit together and what it will feel like is essential. Prototyping is made of Duron cut on the laser cutter and uses hardware ordered from SparkFun and bought at Ace Hardware. See the final project here.
I’m using a diamond cutter on a Dremmel Flexi-Shaft and a jig I made really quickly out of plywood. And Quickclamps…