||UC Berkeley Vision Science Laboratory
||research funded by the Transportation Research Board and Caltrans
||Published July, 2004
||Along with other engineers in the lab, we conducted research to study how accidents occur between trains and cars at rail grade crossings.
- Define Objective: reduce accidents between trains and cars by studying train crossing signaling at gateless grade crossings.
- Devise research method leading to usable and meaningful data.
- Install cameras and recording system on Amtrac Trains to monitor near-miss collisions.
- Monitor data transfer from train to on-site data storage unit to confirm successful video recording.
- Collaborate with computer science grad students to create software to automatically detect near-miss activity in video recordings.
- Error check software to ensure it is correctly identifying presence or absence of activity.
- Compile report on success of research method and present results to Caltrans and Transportation Research Board.
||The UCB Vision Science Laboratory studies how drivers and pedestrians react to various types of signaling and lighting technologies including trafic lights, signage and caution indicators.